Sunday, February 16, 2014

Bread Baking Babes: stretch and fold

(scroll down for the Dutch version)
Guess what? The Bread Baking Babes are celebrating their 6th anniversary. How about that! Never felt like so many years for me. Some members are still the same as when we started, some joined along the way and we welcomed Aparna and Cathy as new Babes in our midst this month. I had the honours to pick a recipe again this time (yes I know I was doing that two months back as well) and I chose a recipe that has been on my desk for over a year now, wandering from one place to another, it kept popping up and I didn't get myself to throwing it out, so I thought to use it for our 6th anniversary.

I must admit it scared me a little, that's probably why the recipe took so long before it was finally made. I had some trouble with the stretching part, this is probably due to the fact that I used bread flour, so it's better if you use AP flour. But even if you get some holes in it, when you fold the dough, you can't see it anymore. There are several video's on the internet where very handy women make these by using a lot more oil. This also makes the layers better inside the rgaïf. But even without the oil; practise makes (almost) perfect. And you don't even need an oven, you bake them in a pan. Wanna have a go? Become our Bread Baking Buddy, stretch, fold, bake, taste, eat and let us know all about it, by sending your details and results to me (as I'm kitchen of the month this time). Mail me your name, blog url, post url and attach your favorite picture of the recipe. Send it to notitievanlien(at)gmail(polkadot)com. Deadline is the 29th of this month. You'll be added to the round up somewhere in the first week of March ánd of course receive a wonderful Bread Baking Buddy Badge to add to your own post. I'll be happy to see your entries come in!! Check out the other Babes (links in the side bar) to see how their adventures were with this month's recipe.

Rgaïf
(about 10)
(PRINT recipe)
500 g flour
5,5 g dry yeast
½ tsp salt
± 250 ml water
50 ml olive oil

Mix flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl.

Kneading by machine: Add water and start kneading with the dough hook, adding more water as necessary. Knead until the dough is very elastic and doesn’t stick to the sides anymore.

Kneading by hand:Make a well in the centre and add some water, start mixing in the flour where it touches the water. Little by little add more water and keep mixing in the flour. Start kneading, grease your hands with a little oil to prevent sticking. Knead about 20 minutes. Add water if it feels too dry. The dough needs to be very elastic and no dough should stick to your hands.

Shape: Make 10 dough balls. Coat every ball with a little olive oil. Let them rest for about 5 minutes. Flatten the ball with your hand as much as you can. Stretch the dough. Take care to get no (or a little as possible) holes in the dough. You need to stretch the dough until it gets as thin as you can, thinner than paper if possible. It’s best done on a counter top, stretching the dough and sticking it to the surface, so it doesn’t spring back. This is not easy. Now fold the dough in squares by folding the round sides inwards.



Bake the squares in a hot large pan on both sides. Only use more oil if the Rgaïf stick to the pan.

You can also deep fry them (as the do in southern Morocco)

Serve: You can serve them with syrup, (strawberry) jam, chocolate sauce. But also you can use savory things, like thinly slices meat, cheese ecc.
You can also spread some filling in them, before folding and baking them. just keep in mind to make it thin.

(adapted from: “Vrijdag couscousdag” by R. Ahali)

__________________________________________________________

Bread Baking Babes stretchen en vouwen

Ja het is alweer de 6e verjaardag van de Bread Baking Babes en de tijd is snel gegaan. Er zijn nog steeds oldies vanaf de start, anderen zijn er onderweg bij gekomen en we verwelkomen deze maand twee nieuwe Babes Aparna en Cathy, die onze gelederen komen versterken.

Deze maand was de eer weer aan mij om een recept te kiezen. Er zwierf al ruim een jaar een recept van links naar rechts, van stapel tot stapel op mijn bureau, deze jubileumseditie leek me perfect om het deze keer maar eens te bakken.

Ik zag er wel een beetje tegen op, het deeg moet dun uitgerekt worden en dat was niet zo eenvoudig. Ik had broodbloem gebruikt en later heb ik begrepen van anderen dat dat niet zo handig was, gewone bloem is beter. Op internet zijn veel filmpjes met superhandige vrouwen die deze platte pannenkoekjes maken, meestal met veel olijfolie. De olie definieerd ook de lagen beter na het bakken. Maar met veel of weinig olie, het uitrekken wordt makkelijker naarmate je meer oefent. En komt er toch een gaatje in, gewoon rustig doorgaan, als je hem opvouwt heb je er verder eigenlijk geen last van. Lijkt het je ook een leuke uitdaging? Wordt een Bread Baking Buddy, stretch, vouw, bak, proef, eet en laat ons weten wat je ervan vond. Stuur al je bevindingen naar me toe (notitievanlien(apestaartje)gmail(punt)com), omdat ik deze maand de keuken van de maand ben. Stuur je naam, blog url, post url en voeg je favoriete foto bij, zodat ik alles in een round up kan verwerken, die zal ongeveer begin maart op mijn blog komen. Deadline 29e van deze maand. We kijken naar jullie baksels uit!
Kijk ook even bij de andere Babes (links in de zijkolom) om inspiratie op te doen.

Rgaïf 
(vierkante pannenkoekjes -ongeveer 10 stuks)
(recept PRINTEN)

500 g bloem
5,5 g droge gist
½ tl zout
± 250 ml water
50 ml olijfolie

Meng bloem, gist en zout in een grote (mixer)kom.

Kneden met de machine. Voeg water toe en begin te kneden met de kneedhaak, voeg meer water toe indien nodig. Kneed tot het deeg elastisch is en niet meer aan de zijkanten van de komt plakt.  

Kneden met de hand. Maak een kuil in het midden van het bloemmengsel en voeg wat water toe. Begin langs de rand van het water bloem bij te voegen. Voeg steeds wat water toe en ga door met het mengen tot alle bloem erbij zit. Begin nu te kneden, vet je handen met wat olie in om plakken te voorkomen. Kneed ongeveer 20 minuten. Voeg water toe als het te droog voelt. En voeg bloem toe als het nat wordt. Het deeg moet heel elastisch zijn en niet te veel aan de handen plakken.  

Vormen: Verdeel het deeg in 10 ballen. Wrijf elke bal in met een beetje olie. Laat ze 10 minuten rusten. Maak de bal met de hand zo plat mogelijk. Rek het deeg uit. Let op dat je geen gaten (of in ieder geval zo min mogelijk) in het deeg krijgt. Je moet het deeg zo dun uitrekken als je kan in een grote ronde cirkel, als het lukt dunner dan papier. Het beste kan je dat doen op een werkoppervlak met gladde bovenkant, zodat je het deeg kan uitrekken en aan de ondergrond kan vast “plakken”, zodat het niet steeds terugspringt. Dit is niet makkelijk. Vouw nu de alle zijkanten van de cirkel naar het midden, zodat er een vierkant ontstaat.

Bakken. Bak de vierkante pannenkoeken in een hete pan aan beide kanten. Gebruik alleen meer olie als de Rgaïf aan de pan plakt. Je kunt ze eventueel ook frituren (dit doen ze Zuid-Marokko)

Severen. Je kan ze serveren met stroop of siroop, jam of chocoladesaus. Maar je kan ook hartige dingen combineren, zoals kaas of vleeswaren. Je kunt ze ook maken met een vulling, die je voor het vouwen (zodat het een vierkant wordt) erin doet. Er is maar weinig vulling nodig, het moet wel dun blijven.

(bewerkt naar: “Vrijdag couscousdag” door R. Ahali)

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Love all the stretching photos. They will come in very handy when I bake along as a buddy. Thanks for choosing this recipe. I can't wait to try making this!
Renee - Kudos Kitchen

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Incredible Lien. Yours look very much like mine in the making but once cooked/baked ... all bets are off. Mine puffed way up and were very bread. You can bet when I have my own kitchen again, I'm doing these again! Even thick, these were very lovely.
Thanks for 6 wonderful years of bread, badges, fun, laughs, romps on the back bench and just being you!

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

This was a great choice Lien. The folding frustrated me a bit at first, but now I want to make some more. Happy 6th Anniversary! Many happy folds!

ilva said...

We really like this bread Lien but yours looks much crispier than mine! I had a great time stretching the dough, surprisingly easy after a while.

Jamie said...

Oh my, your stretching is perfect!!! Amazing! Mine got better as I went along but still clunky. I can't seem to get the edges stretched so they would cook flat. Now seeing yours I have to go back and try it all again. Fabulous work, Lien and fun recipe!

Sweet and That's it said...

Yuppiii!!..the moment I saw your wonderful pictures I knew, I'd love this flatbreads...
And since they are so versatile I'll love them even more...
Cannot wait to bake them.
Thank you Lien.

Aparna said...

Thanks for a lovely recipe, Lien. Though it was similar to a type of Indian flatbread it was different too.
It was fun baking with all of you.

Heather S-G said...

I love that I'm not the only one who carries recipes around from in anticipation of making them one day... I have many of those. I had a lot of fun with this recipe, and though the initial "warnings" made me put it off a bit, when I actually got around to making them, it was a breeze. Thanks for the awesome anniversary pick, Lien!

NKP said...

Wow, you got yours super thin! Wonderful!
Thanks so much for introducing us to this great bread. I'll be playing with it lots now.

Elizabeth said...

We LOVED this bread, Lien! And I can't believe how simple it was to make. (I feel a little silly for being so terrified.)

I think your bread looks beautiful.


Ooops!! I just looked at your lovely photo essay on how to fold the discs and I see that I managed to do it wrong. But that's the beauty of bread. It can be made in so many ways.

Karen Baking Soda said...

Thank you so much for scaring me into the couch this time... no just kidding.. I will make them! So helpful to see the pictures again and just a little bit frightened by your perfect breads, they look so inviting Lien, with just the right shade of golden and brown. (Gosh I am still scared)

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of this bread- I can't wait to give it a go. It looks really delicious. I just hope the stretching goes well...
Happy 6th to all you Babes!!

Best, Sandie

Karen said...

These look wonderful Lien! Getting ready to try them this weekend!

Amber said...

Hello!
My Rgaif:http://www.kuchennymidrzwiami.pl/rgaif-marokanskie-nalesniki-proste-przyjemnosci/

Anonymous said...

Many many thanks for your recipes. i am trying at home and i do it with my new my new
Breadmachine